Thursday, January 14, 2010

Big anti-PLCB piece in Philadelphia Weekly

The issue of Philadelphia Weekly that came out yesterday features a lengthy anti-PLCB screed by Tom Cowell; nice work. (There was a good editorial on the wine kiosks the day before in the Lebanon Daily News, too.) The blog got some mention (bottom of page 2), but much much more importantly, Cowell had clearly been reading it and getting ideas: the number of stores compared to Chicago, how relatively little money we actually get from a complete monopoly on booze sales, the stupidity of the rebranding scheme, the way the PLCB is really just the tool of the legislature.

Which is exactly why this blog is here, to inspire thought and action. Cowell took it and ran with it, talked to union head Wendell Young, found some more issues (the patronage inherent in the State Store System, for example), and got a new crowd of folks stirred up. I'm very happy to see it happen.

Keep spreading the word. PRIVATIZE IT NOW!

(And if you feel like supporting me in the comments to this piece...feel free, but remember to keep it on track: it's all about abolishing the PLCB and rewriting The Almighty Liquor Code!)

3 comments:

Rich said...

So I read the article. Overall I thought it was pretty well written but often the author uses the terms liquor or booze to combine all types of alcohol when indeed beer is often singled out separately and the rules to purchase are different. He also talks about homebrewing your own "moonshine" which I take some issue with. Distilling and making "moonshine" is illegal, making beer and wine however, is not.

Lew Bryson said...

Rich,
First, thanks for the link. All I can say is that I posted after a very long day, and I was maybe not at my sharpest; the backup's appreciated!
As to the "booze" thing...I use that as shorthand a lot myself; so much easier than writing "beer, wine, and spirits." When beer is different -- as it definitely is in PA law -- it should have been noted. PA law makes for awkward writing. The "moonshine" usage, on the other hand, irked me, too.

Sam Komlenic said...

Agreed with the moonshine thing. Although I think it will someday be legal to home distill, PW was reckless with that inclusion.